Updated: January 2023
We want you to use Finelight Media products and services secure in the knowledge that we take your privacy seriously and that we’ve implemented fair and ethical information practices.
Finelight Media Group Ltd (“Finelight Media”) is the operator of our Sites and the controller of data collected from you by our Sites and through our Services. With respect to the use of our Services by EU data subjects, we are either a controller or processor of your data, depending upon the circumstances that give rise to our processing of your data. Finelight Media is a registered company in the United Kingdom.
Collection of Personal Data
“Personal Data” are data elements that identify you as an individual or relate to an identifiable individual. We collect Personal Data (including ‘personal information’) in accordance with law and this Policy. Examples of such data are:
- Postal address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Language preference
- Geolocation information
- Social media account ID, profile photo and other data publicly available, or data made available by linking your social media and accounts
- Pictures, audio files, or videos you submit, including pictures of yourself
- Credit card and billing information (if you submit payment for Services)
- Credit and Financial information in limited circumstances
- Information about your device, network and internet connection, such as your IP address, or other device ID (UUID)
- Device type, operating system type and version, and browser type and version
- Information about your usage of our site including the pages and files viewed and referrer URL and exit pages
- Information about your calls to us including phone numbers and recordings
- Other information you provide or create, such as comments you make on articles and blogs or posts in community forums
How We Collect Personal Data
We collect Personal Data in a variety of ways as described below.
Directly From You
We may ask you to provide Personal Data for various reasons. As a prospective customer of our Services, when you contact us or request information about our Services, we ask you for contact information such as your name, email address, phone number, geographic and job information or title. We also collect similar information from you when you sign up to receive our newsletters or other offers.
We may ask you for similar and additional information at other times, such as when you apply for a job through our Sites or contact our customer service team.
You may also provide us your personal information when you sign up for a webinar, download a whitepaper directly on our Sites or from one of our Advertising partners, or complete a “contact us” form on our Sites.
We also collect Personal Data that employees, contractors, or clients provide to us when they register for access to the Finelight Media platform. The information we may collect includes name, address, company name, location, email address, phone number and account password.
Information Uploaded to the Services
Occasionally we allow users of our Services to post content or upload information and materials to the Site and Services, including pictures, documents, records and any other materials. In those cases, we may require you to accept additional terms before we publish your submissions. If you post content or upload information or materials to our Site or Services, we may use this content to provide the Site and Services to you and other users, and we may share this content publicly, subject to any additional terms upon which we may agree.
From Third Party Sources/Clients
Through our Sites and Services, we may receive information, including, with your consent where required, from third party providers and sources that, alone or in combination with other information, could be used to identify an individual, including you.
We do not control the privacy practices of these third parties that we collect information from.
We also may receive your personal information such as name, business email, company and job title, from trade shows or other similar events that we sponsor or from third parties that provide such information. We use this information to send marketing messages to you as described below.
Information Automatically Collected
This information can include your browser type and operating system, your IP address, the length and times of day you use our Sites or Services, and the referring URL or webpage that led you to our Sites or Services.
We also use this technology to record your preferences, track the use of our products and your exposure to our online advertisements. We may also use these technologies to monitor traffic, improve the products and make it easier and/or relevant for your use. For example, we may recommend articles similar to the ones you’re reading or display advertisements that you haven’t already seen.
What Kinds of Cookies Do We Use?
- Analytics cookies
- Advertising cookies
- Essential cookies
- Functionality cookies
- Social Media cookies
- To help us make e-mails more useful and interesting, we often receive a confirmation when you open e-mail from us if your computer supports such capabilities. You can opt out of receiving emails or other electronic marketing communications from us, other than emails related to your use of the Services or management of your account. Please see the Your Choices section below.
- We might also use a pixel tag which is a small graphic file that allows us and third parties to monitor the use of the Sites and Services and provide us with information based on your interaction with the Sites, Services and e-mails. These tags may collect the IP address from the device which you loaded the page, your browser type, and other data. Pixel tags are also used by our third parties to collect information when you visit our Site, the links and other actions you take on our Site, and we may use this information in combination with cookies to display targeted advertisements.
- Other data technologies may be used that collect comparable information for security and fraud detection purposes.
Use of Personal Data and Other Information
We use the Personal Data collected for a number of purposes as described below.
To Provide our Services
Finelight Media uses your information, including Personal Data, for the following purposes:
- Provide you with access to the content and services we produce;
- Analyse demographic or behavioural data to improve or personalise the products we offer to you;
- Provide you with more relevant advertising content;
- Post your user generated content and comments to the sites as you request;
- To respond to any emails or requests you directly make to us;
- For our own marketing and retargeting purposes by tracking preferences which allows us to create new services, features and content that may be more personalised to your interests;
- For our statistical, research, recordkeeping, and reporting purposes to understand trends related to our offerings and services;
- To protect the security of our network and to monitor abuse and prevent illegal activities and fraud;
- To comply with the law;
- For any other purpose identified at the time of collection.
We will not use the information provided to us in ways unrelated to the ones described above without notifying you first and getting your consent where required.
If you are a new customer, Finelight Media will only contact you when you have provided consent.
To Communicate with You
When you send email or other communications to us, we may keep those communications and use the Personal Data they contain in order to process your questions, respond to your requests and improve our Sites or Services. In particular, we may use your email address to communicate with you about our Services, such as to provide you with support.
Other Uses of Data
We may anonymise, de-identify and/or aggregate the information that we collect and use such anonymised, de-identified and/or aggregated data for our own business purposes, including but not limited to sharing anonymised or de-identified data with our current and prospective business partners, clients, service providers, affiliates, agents and other third parties for commercial, statistical and market research purposes, for example to allow those parties to analyse patterns among groups of people, and conducting research on consumer demographics, interests and behaviour.
We use Personal Data and other data for data analysis, security and fraud monitoring and prevention, product development and testing, improving or modifying our Sites and Services, analysing website traffic patterns and behaviours, statistical and survey purposes, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
How We Share Your Information
Finelight Media does not share your personal information with others except as indicated within this policy or when we inform you and give you an opportunity to decline or opt out of having your personal information shared. Finelight Media may share your information, including Personal Data, in the circumstances described below.
Clients & Partners. For users in the United States, as a part of our Services, if we create joint or co-branded whitepapers, webinars and other forms of content with third parties, we will inform you who the Partner is when we offer such content. If you opt-in to receive joint or co-branded Partner content, we may provide your information to these third parties & partners for use in marketing and in designing or providing their own services and to send you information about their products or services. If you don’t want us to send your information to the third party, you should not sign up for this joint or co-branded content. You should contact the other third party directly who may already be sending you messages in order to request that these communications stop, and to review their privacy policies.
Third Party Data Sources. We share your information with third party data sources to verify the accuracy of the information you provide to us, like your email address, and to request information about you.
Aggregate and Anonymised Information. We may share aggregate information or anonymised and/or de-identified information about users and prospective users of our Sites and Services with third parties for marketing, advertising, research or similar purposes.
Service Providers. We share information with our third party vendors and service providers to perform certain functions on our behalf, such as hosting specific portions of the Service, maintaining databases, helping us collect job applications, delivering content, sending emails on behalf of our customers and for our own marketing communications, using text messaging services for multifactor authentication protocols, administering content, mailing information, processing payments or otherwise operating the Services or the Sites.
Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if all or some portion of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, financing due diligence, reorganization, or receivership, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to the other company or bankruptcy trustee or administrator.
In response to Legal Process. We may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial or regulatory proceeding, court or governmental agency order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
Links to Other Websites
Finelight Media uses reasonable administrative, logical, physical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal information against loss, theft and unauthorised access, use and modification. Unfortunately, no measures can be guaranteed to provide 100% security. Accordingly, Finelight Media cannot guarantee the security of your information. You should take steps to protect against unauthorised access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Access and Your Choices
On most web browsers, you will find a “Help” section on the toolbar. Please refer to this section for information on how to receive a notification when you are receiving a new cookie and how to control cookies, including turn them off. Please see the links below for guidance on how to modify your web browser’s settings on the most popular browsers:
To find out more about cookies and similar technologies, including how to see what cookies and similar technologies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org, and/or the Digital Advertising Alliance’s (DAA) online resources at http://youradchoices.com/control, and/or the Network Advertising Initiative’s (NAI) online resources at http://www.networkadvertising.org, and follow the opt-out instructions there, or if located in the European Union, visit the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance’s (EDAA) Your Online Choices opt-out tool at www.youronlinechoices.com.
Opting out from one or more companies listed on the DAA Consumer Choice Page, the NAI Consumer Opt-Out Page, or the EDAA Your Online Choices opt-out page will opt you out from the delivery of interest-based content or ads to you by the third parties participating in those opt-out services, but it does not mean you will no longer receive any personalised advertising through our Services or on our Sites or other websites. You may continue to receive advertisements, for example, advertisements for which you have given us consent, non-personalised advertisements or advertisements based on the particular website that you are viewing (i.e., contextually based ads). Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you opt out on the DAA, NAI or EDAA websites, your opt out may not be effective. Additional information is available at these websites.
Third Party Analytics
Third Party Advertisers
Opting out of email
We may send periodic promotional or informational emails to you. You may opt-out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the email. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt-out of receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you emails about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us.
EU Data Subjects
This section applies if you are an EU data subject (for these purposes, reference to the EU also includes the European Economic Area countries of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway and, where applicable, Switzerland). Finelight Media is the data controller for processing Personal Data provided to Finelight Media in relation to the Sites and Services. Unless you have given us your consent for our independent uses of your Personal Data or we have another lawful basis for processing your Personal Data, we act strictly as a data processor for Personal Data that we process through the Services, as described under the “Information Collected Through our Services” section above. For example, we process data on behalf of Clients in relation to transactions you may be conducting or considering with them. We rely on the following legal bases for processing your Personal Data:
- Processing of your Personal Data based on your consent for such processing. You have the right to withdraw your consent, as further described below.
- Processing of your Personal Data that you provide to us (such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, company name and role) when you request information about the Finelight Media Services or when you otherwise send inquiries about our Services and processing of this data is necessary to respond to or implement your request prior to entering into a contract with us or a data controller that is using our Services.
- We use account-related data to set up accounts for users in the Services and to administer and support those accounts (such as usernames, email address and billing information), provide you with access to the Services, contact you regarding your use of the Services or to notify you of important changes to the Services. Such use is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and our clients or us.
- We may send you information by email or through other electronic communications on our new products or services or other promotions if you consent to receiving them. If you have not opted-in to these marketing emails, we do this either because we are relying on an exception to opt-in requirements or because of our legitimate interest to promote the success of our business.
- Our use of data relating to your use of the Sites and/or the Services, described above, is necessary for our legitimate interests in understanding how the Sites and the Services are being used by you, to improve your experience on it and our Service offerings.
- We also have a legitimate interest in aggregating and/or anonymising or de-identifying the information that we collect through our Sites and/or the Services and using this information for our business purposes, as described above.
- When we process your Personal Data for our legitimate interests, we make sure to consider and balance any potential impact on you, and your rights under data protection laws. Our legitimate business interests do not automatically override your interests – we will not use your Personal Data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you, unless we have your consent for our processing activities or those activities are otherwise required or permitted by law. You have the right to object to processing that is based on our legitimate interests, as further described below.
Subject to applicable law and reasonable steps that we may take to verify your identity with respect to your requests, you have the following rights in relation to your Personal Data:
- Right of access: If you ask us, we will confirm whether we are processing your Personal Data and, if so, provide you with a copy of that Personal Data (along with certain other details). If you require additional copies, we may need to charge a reasonable fee.
- Right to rectification: If your Personal Data that we control is inaccurate or incomplete, you are entitled to have it rectified or completed. Note that we may not be able to rectify data obtained from a third party such as a governmental agency or other data that we do not control, and you will need to contact that third party directly. If we have shared your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the rectification where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to erasure: You may ask us to delete or remove your Personal Data and we will do so in some circumstances, such as where we no longer need it (we may not delete your data when other interests outweigh your right to deletion, for example if we are required by law to keep it). If we have shared your data with others, we will tell them about the erasure where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to restrict processing: You may ask us to restrict or ‘block’ the processing of your Personal Data in certain circumstances, such as where you contest the accuracy of that Personal Data or object to us processing it. We will tell you before we lift any restrictions on processing. If we have shared your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the restriction where possible. If you ask us, where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so that you can contact them directly.
- Right to data portability: Effective 25 May 2018, you have the right to obtain your Personal Data from us that you consented to give us or that is necessary to perform a contract with you, to the extent it is available. We will give you your Personal Data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format.
- Right to object: You may ask us at any time to stop processing your Personal Data, and we will do so if we are processing your Personal Data for the Services, for direct marketing, or otherwise. However, if we are relying on a legitimate interest to process your Personal Data and we demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing we may continue; or you may exercise your rights by contacting us as indicated under “Contact Us”. Note you will be asked to verify your identity when submitting a request.
- Rights in relation to automated decision-making and profiling: You have the right to be free from decisions that we make based solely on automated processing of your Personal Data, including profiling, which produce a significant legal effect on you, unless such profiling is necessary for entering into, or the performance of, a contract between you and us, or with your explicit consent.
- Right to withdraw consent: If we rely on your consent to process your Personal Data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. Your withdrawal of consent will not apply to or affect prior processing of data that was processed prior to our receipt of your withdrawal of consent.
- Right to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority: If you have a concern about our privacy practices, including the way we have handled your Personal Data, you can report it to the data protection authority that is authorised to hear those concerns.
If you have an account with us, we may instruct you to exercise some of your rights above through account settings or features, or by deleting your account.
EU Data Subjects may contact us about these right at email@example.com or at the address set out in the Contact Us section below.
International Data Transfers
Finelight Media operates its site in the United Kingdom. If you are located in another jurisdiction, you are notified that your information will be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United Kingdom.
BY USING THIS SITE AND PROVIDING FINELIGHT MEDIA WITH INFORMATION, YOU CONSENT TO THIS TRANSFER, PROCESSING AND STORAGE OF YOUR INFORMATION IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. If you do not consent to this, you should not use our Sites or Services.
It is important to note that the privacy laws in the United Kingdom may not be as comprehensive as those in other countries such as the European Union or the United States of America. Finelight Media service providers use appropriate safeguards for your Personal Data when transferred to and processed in the United Kingdom.
Finelight Media will retain Personal Data for the period necessary to provide our Services or for the purposes for which it was collected, or as otherwise required by our contracts or by law.
When determining how long we should keep data, we consider the length of time we will have a relationship with you or our clients, and provide our Services, whether there is a legal obligation that would require us to keep the information for a specified period of time, the reasons why we process your data, the risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your Personal Data.
We may also anonymise or de-identify Personal Data so it would no longer be associated with you and use such anonymized or de-identified data for research or analytical purposes. If data is anonymised or de-identified, we may use this data for as long as we have a legitimate business purpose for such use, without additional notice to you.
Children Under 16
Our Services and Sites are not directed at children under 16 years of age (or older where required by law), and we do not knowingly collect or receive Personal Data from them. If we learn that we have received Personal Data from a child whose age requires parental consent for processing, we will delete the data. If you believe that we have received Personal Data from a child whose age requires parental consent, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finelight Media Group Ltd
Cringleford Business Centre